Butlletin nº2 31/10/2018
16º WORLD ROGAINING CHAMPIONSHIPS
5º CAMPEONATO IBEROGAINE
27TH – 28TH OF JULY 2019
La Molina – Pyrenees – Catalunya – Spain
Federació de Curses d’Orientació de Catalunya
International Rogaining Federation
Format and rules
The 16th World Rogaining Championships are held in 24 hour rogaining according to the rules of the International Rogaining Federation. (link del pdf de les Rules 2017). Any exceptions or/and corrections according to the current edition of IRF Rules will be specified in the 3rd Bulletin. Specifically the list of mandatory gear that will include some outerwear clothes because of the high mountain environment.
Event center will be located in La Molina, La Cerdanya, Catalan Pyrenees, Spain, in open field environment close to the center of the competition area. Exact location View on Map
Teams of 2 – 3 members. See Entry Criteria WRC2019
- Men’s Open (MO) — men, no age restriction
- Women’s Open (WO) — women, no age restriction
- Mixed Open (XO) — at least one man and one woman, no age restriction
- Men’s Youth (MY) — men, all must be under 23 years of age
- Women’s Youth (WY) — women, all must be under 23 years of age
- Mixed Youth (XY) — at least one man and one woman, all must be under 23 years of age
- Men’s Veteran (MV) — men, all must be 40 years of age or over
- Women’s Veteran (WV) — women, all must be 40 years of age or over
- Mixed Veteran (XV) — at least one man and one woman, all must be 40 years of age or over
- Men’s Super Veteran (MSV) — men, all must be 55 years of age or over
- Women’s Super Veteran (WSV) — women, all must be 55 years of age or over
- Mixed Super Veteran (XSV) — at least one man and one woman, all must be 55 years of age or over
- Men’s Ultra Veteran (MUV) — men, all must be 65 years of age or over
- Women’s Ultra Veteran (WUV) — women, all must be 65 years of age or over
- Mixed Ultra Veteran (XUV) — at least one man and one woman, all must be 65 years of age or over
For the Youth, Veteran, Super Veteran and Ultra Veteran categories the age is determined on the first day of competition (i.e. 27 July 2019).
Any team that has a member under 17 years of age shall also have a member 18 years of age or over. All participants under 18 years need to have a written permission (from their legal guardian) for taking part in the competition.
Teams are deemed to compete in every category for which they are eligible.
Registration to the event opens on-line on 27th October 2018 on the WRC 2019 website . Registration procedure is described in detail and published on the website. Organizers reserve the right to delete any incorrect entries (missing full data of any member, obviously false data, use of improper wording, etc.) .
Entry limit is 1000 participants.
Team size is restricted to 2 or 3 members.
Registration applications will be taken via online registration form:
- Phase 1 of the registration: 27th October 2018 – 10th November 2018.
- Phase 2 of the registration: 11th November 2018 – 31st December 2018.
- Phase 3 of the registration: 1st January – 15th July 2019
(for full text see Entry Criteria WRC2019)
The on-line updated list of Automatic Pre-Qualified Entrants and Preferred Pre-Qualified Entrants is available now through the following link: http://pqe.rogaining.
In phases 1 and 2, only those teams with a member in the list of Pre-Qualified Entrants and Preferred Pre-Qualified Entrants can fill the application form and finish the entry process. All other teams can fill the form and wait until the phase 3 to finish the entry process.
- EARLY BIRD; 27th October 2018 – 15th March 2019. 95€
- SPECIAL*; 27th October 2018 – 15th March 2019. 80€ (without Wind stopper jacket)
- REGULAR; 15th March 2019- 1st June 2019. 105€
- LATE; 1st June 2019-15th July 2019 105€ (without Wind stopper jacket)
*This option does not include the awesome souvenir designed by TUGA, but we still offer this cheaper option in order to allow the maximum number of teams to participate.
Registration fee includes:
- Cost of organizing and setting up the event
- Participant health insurance during the race
- Basic medical care
- Post-race massage
- GPS tracking for all teams
- 4-day camping and parking
- Catering during the race and hot meal after the finish
- Several bottled water points
- Special souvenir: a wind stopper jacket. Trophies and awards
- IRF WRC levy.
Registration fee also includes the cost of one single change in team composition after the team has been confirmed. Additional changes will be possible for an extra fee of 5€.
Registration procedure is open during phase 1 and 2 for Automatic Pre-Qualified Entrants and Preferred Pre-Qualified Entrants and for Non pre-qualified entrants. The Pre-Qualified Entrants and Preferred Pre-Qualified must check their names in the list of pre-qualified entrants and sign up with the same name. It is absolutely necessary to use the exact name as shown in the list. The procedure finishes in a credit card website where the participant must pay the total amount. Participants can decide not pay and wait for the invitation mail from organizers. When they receive the email, they will have two weeks for the payment. The teams are shown in different list depend on their status; confirmed and paid, invited but not paid or waiting list for non-prequalified.
During the phase 3 any team can sign up and fill the entry form, the procedure finishes in a credit card website where the teams must pay de total amount.
Tuga has designed for the WRC 2019 an amazing windstopper jacket in micro-tech, perfect for rogaining use due to their elastic and lightweight fibers. You can choose your size in the registration form. Afterwards, it will be possible to buy additional jackets in the shop. Price will be 25€ each.
Teams may change team composition until 30th June 2019. Each such change, except the first one, will be possible only after paying a fee of 5€ once registration has been confirmed and paid.
Last minute changes in team composition will be possible during registration at the competition center for a fee of 10€.
In case of withdrawal, registration fees will be reimbursed as follows:
- a single person cannot withdraw from a 2-person team – in this case the entire team will be withdrawn and reimbursed accordingly (see below), or the withdrawing entrant’s place in the team must be transferred to another eligible
- if a team (or a single person from a team of 3) withdraws, reimbursement will be as follows: In order to be reimbursed for a withdrawal, a team must email the request to the Organization, before the 1st of June 2019. Amount reimbursed will be 50€.
International travelers may be required to hold an Spanish visa prior to travel to Spain, depending on country of residence.
For more information, please see the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain website. It you require further assistance, please send us an email.
The event´s Organization and the Federació de Curses d’Orientació de Catalunya hold a third party liability insurance as the organizers of a public event.
Also, organizers will contract a personal health insurance for all competitors, for incidents occurring during the race.
Nevertheless competitors participate in the event at their own risk. We recommend that competitors carry personal health and/or travel insurance.
Thursday, 25 July 2019
- 12:00 Camping at the hash house opens, model maps available and model course opens
- 18:00 Registration 1st day opens
- 21:00 Registration 1st day closes
Friday, 26 July 2019
- 12:00 Registration 2nd day opens
- 12:00 IRF Meeting Event Center.
- 22:00 Registration 2nd day closes
Saturday, 27 July 2019
- 8:00 Registration 3rd day opens
- 9:00 Map handout
- 12:00 Start
- 16:00 Catering available at the hash house
- 21:18 Sunset
- 21:50 The end of civil twilight
Sunday, 28 July 2019
- 6:10 The beginning of civil twilight
- 6:42 Sunrise
- 12:00 Finish
- 14:00 Award ceremony
- 15:00 Catering at the hash house
Monday, 29 July 2019
- 11:00 Camping at the hash house closes
The team with the highest score in each class is granted the title of the World Rogaining Champions. Three best teams in each class are awarded prizes.
The SPORTIdent (SI) electronic punching system will be used. Each team member shall wear one SI card (version 6, 10, 11 or AIR), which should be attached to the competitor with a nonremovable wristband. Every competitor must know the kind of SI card they own in order to have enough memory capacity to record all controls of the WRC. (link del pdf de les característiques de les targes SI). SI-cards (version 10, 11 or AIR) will be available for rent and provided by the organizers for 5€ each. Participants who want to rent, must request it during the registration process.
SPORTIdent tools will be used for timing and result computing. Software has been successfully used for participant and result computing in a number of adventure sports and rogaining competitions organized in the last ten years. Company La Nova Fita will be the responsible for providing results.
All teams will use a GPS device free of charge (one per team, tied to a backpack) for safety reasons (the device has a emergency button) and also for WRC broadcasting. GPS tracking data and estimated progressive scores will be displayed on a big screen in a designated area at the event center (participants are not allowed to enter) and also on the WRC web page, starting one hour after the start of the competition.
Competition area (140 km²) is located within the Pyrenees Mountains, in Catalunya. Although the area is not very large, the terrain is very steep, from hilly to very mountainous. Participants should not underestimate these characteristics. The highest peak is La Tossa (2536 m) and the lowest area is at around 1300m, around Alp village. There other important peaks in the terrain, like Puigllançada (2409 m), Cim de la Bassa (2029 m), Coma Morera (2208 m) or la Creueta (2067 m). This mountainous environment provides a physically demanding terrain where minimized climbs and drops will be an important success factor. Therefore, navigation and route planning skills will become of vital importance and have been proven as an essential factor for the successful rogainer here. Probably, no other WRC has been run in such mountainous terrain!
Forest covers up to 60% of the event area. It comprises areas of pine predominance, mainly in low areas and north slopes, with minor oak sectors in low and south slopes. The other 40% of the event area is open terrain, mostly of short grass on relatively even and smooth ground, along with some rugged land areas. The runabillity is usually pretty good.There is an important network of dirt roads and trails. The human influence is present. We can find shepherd and livestock elements, and military elements to control the border boundaries.
We think it is an excellent opportunity to enjoy this type of terrain and especially the many elements around the ski slopes that are located in the southern part of the map (La Molina and La Masella).In summary, great physical and technical challenges of such a mountainous environment, combined with wonderful terrain, will provide an unforgettable experience like no other!
The fauna has a big relevance as well, different vertebrate species and a large quantity of invertebrate species. The most important mammals are the chamois, the deer, the European marmot an others like the European pine marten, the stoat and the beaver. The most remarkable birds are the bearded vulture, the wood grouse, and the black woodpecker. There are also many reptiles like the green lizard, green whip snake. And amphibious like the Pyrenean brook salamander, and the European common frog.
Typical mountain weather in summer, hot during the day, mid-afternoon storms, and cool at night.
La Molina has typical mountain weather, with long and cold winters and mild summers. The altitude is the most important factor here. Summer is the rainy season, but rain comes in storms and in short and intense periods. The rainy season has a big inter-annual variation depending on the year, and summers can range from dry to very wet.
The wind is another key factor in the mountain weather and we have an average of 20% of windy days, usually from N-NW.
However, there are important differences between highest and lowest terrain.
Weather in July has the following average values:
- Tosa d’Alp (close to the top, 2536 m )
- Max. Temperature: 10-12°C (extreme values in a normal month 8-15°C) Min. Temperature: 6-8°C (extreme values in a normal month 2-10°C)
- Days of rain (more than 1 mm): 12.
- Of which, average precipitation is: 70mm (extreme value in a normal month 120mm)
- Foggy days: 10 during all the day, and 15 partially.
- La Molina Station (1406 m msl) Event center.
- Max. Temperature: 18-20º C (extreme values in a normal month 15-25°C) Min. Temperature: 6-10°C (extreme values in a normal month 5-12°C)
- Days of rain (more than 1 mm): 10
- Of which, average precipitation is: 60mm (extreme value in a normal month 100 mm)
- Foggy days: 3
Sunset and Sunrise http://sunsetsunrisetime.com/
The scale selected is 1:25000 with a contour interval of 10 meters. The map is made from annual ortophoto and LiDAR data sources, available in this region, which provide a very detailed cartography. Additionally, field work is necessary to add detail and evaluate forest and open areas. Map is designed using orienteering map design software, such as OCAD or OOMapper. It is significantly different from typical rogaining maps: forest and open areas are printed in colors depending on their runnability as in orienteering maps; white and green colors will be used for this purpose.
Competition maps will be printed on waterproof and tear resistant synthetic paper Tyvek. A separate map, same size and scale as the competition map but printed on regular paper, will be provided for each team for planning purposes.
Model event will be available from 12:00 on Thursday, 25th July, until start WRC on Saturday. Detailed information on this topic will be included in next Bulletin and on WRC web site.
6 hours event
6h event will be from 12:00 to 18:00 on Saturday. Detailed information will be included soon in the web site. This race is intended for local rogainers and WRC participant’s partners.
Training possibilities and related events
Dates and locations of related events will be updated on WRC website.
We can also offer different kind of maps for teams who would like to come some time before the WRC in order to train the competition. Please contact the WRC organization by email.
We finally recommend two rogaining events happening in the coming months, the first one in 8hour night format and the second one in 6-hour day format. The terrain in these two events is very similar to the WRC terrain:
- 24/11/2018 3erd Rogaining. Serra Cavallera. Pardines. Ripollès. https://www.aligots.cat/rogainingserracavallera/ca/inici/
- 15/06/2019 1st Rogaining Castellar de n’Hug. Castellar de n’Hug. Berguedà. Webpage starts in december.
Transport and facilities
You can see in the WRC2019 web page full information about transport and facilities, in Competition center-transport and Competition center-facilities.
The area is provided with all kinds of accommodations and prices: mountain huts, cottages, hostels and hotels of all categories. You can make reservations on the following website: https://www.lamolina.cat/estiu/reserves/allotjaments/
Girona airport and Barcelona airport have several rent-a-car companies.
If using public transportation, the best option is by rail on the train connecting Barcelona with La Tour de Carol. La Molina station (R3 line).
We can offer bus transfer service from La Molina Station to the Event Center (5 kilometers). You will be able to book it on the website´s Shop, starting January.
Catering details and hash-house menu will be published on Bulletin No.3. We will have special menu for vegetarians and food intolerances.
Shopping and merchandising
The WRC shop will open on January 2019 on our web page. In there, competitors will find lots of merchandising related to the most important rogaining race in 2019, the World Rogaining Championships. We are convinced that participants will be proud to have different outdoor gear designed especially for the race.
Also competitors can find in the shop some other tools like planning boards (free of charge), tent in the competitors area (free of charge), camping for partners, bus transfer from La Molina station to the event center, etc.
- Ricard Belascoain – Event Director.
- Raquel Font – Chief materials and intendance.
- Carles Loré – Mapper.
- Miquel Soro – Course Setter.
- Pep Mayolas – Field Work & Course Vetter.
- International Rogaining Federation (IRF),
- Federació de Curses d’Orientació de Catalunya (FCOC).
Gill Fowler (Australia)
e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web-site URL www.wrc2019.cat/en
- Bulletin No. 3 will be published before …. 5th of June 2019.
- Last Bulletin (pre-start competitors’ information) will be published before 15 July 2019.