WRC2019 | Terrain and map
page-template-default,page,page-id-15835,do-etfw,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-11.0,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive

Terrain and map

world rogaining championship 2019


Competition area (140 km²) is located within the Pyrenees Mountains,  in Catalunya. Although the area is not very large, the terrain is very steep, from hilly to very mountainous. Participants should not underestimate these characteristics. The highest peak is La Tossa (2536 m) and the lowest area is at around 1300m, around Alp village. There other important peaks in the terrain, like Puigllançada (2409 m), Cim de la Bassa (2029 m), Coma Morera (2208 m) or la Creueta (2067 m). This mountainous environment provides a physically demanding terrain where minimized climbs and drops will be an important success factor.  Therefore, navigation and route planning skills will become of vital importance and have been proven as an essential factor for the successful rogainer here. Probably, no other WRC has been run in such mountainous terrain!


Forest covers up to 60% of the event area. It comprises areas of pine predominance, mainly in low areas and north slopes, with minor oak sectors in low and south slopes. The other 40% of the event area is open terrain, mostly of short grass on relatively even and smooth ground, along with some rugged land areas. The runabillity is usually pretty good.


There is an important network of dirt roads and trails. The human influence is present. We can find shepherd and livestock elements, and military elements to control the border boundaries.


We think it is an excellent opportunity to enjoy this type of terrain and especially the many elements around the ski slopes that are located in the southern part of the map (La Molina and La Masella).


In summary, great physical and technical challenges of such a mountainous environment, combined with  wonderful terrain, will provide an unforgettable experience like no other!



The map scale is 1:25000, with a contour interval of 10 meters, and with 5 meters form-lines where necessary. The elements of the map are represented with orienteering ISOM symbols and styles.

The base map has been made from different sources of data*:

  • Contours and vegetation has been drawn from LiDAR data.
  • Planimetry has been obtained from 1:5000 topographic map
  • The whole terrain has been checked trough orthophotos to complete and correct the above information.

* All the source data has been taken from the Institut Cartogràfic I Geològic de Catalunya (ICGC).

Additionally, an extensive fieldwork has been carried out in order to add details and elements that were not visible in the source data.

Competition maps will be printed on waterproof and tear resistant synthetic paper (Poliart). A separate map, same size and scale as the competition map but printed on regular paper, will be provided for each team for planning purposes. It is not necessary to submit this map to the organizers. The exact map sheet size is 57cm x 81cm.

As a 1:25000 scale map, only the main and big elements have been represented, but in some areas with less elements on the terrain, some smaller elements may be represented (for example, a single small cliff might be represented in an area with no other details).

Forest is represented differently from typical rogaining maps: forest areas are printed in 2 colors depending on their runnability, similar to orienteering maps. White and green colors will be used for this purpose. This representation has to be taken as estimation, because it’s taken automatically from LiDAR data. This means that it gives you an idea of the density of the forest but you may walk through some green areas while it can be almost impossible to cross others. Similarly there are some white areas with undergrowth that can be difficult to pass.

There’s a network of trails and dirt roads. The mapmaker has made a big effort to draw them all but, in an area where the human influence is present, every season new trails are opened while old trails get lost. There may be some new trails in areas where wood works are taking place of near shepherds’ places. Some small trails (“cow trails”) may not be represented.

There are several fences in the terrain. Most of them are used to keep the livestock under control, and are passable, but they can be electrified, so try not to touch the wires. Only the main fences are drawn in the map. Similarly to the trails, they can vary from season to season. In general, only the fences with 2 wires or more are represented.

There’s plenty of livestock in the terrain (cows, horses, sheep, goats). Although they are peaceful, please be careful and try not to approach them  in order to not disturb them. You may find other wild animals; please be respectful to them.